Friday, February 4, 2011

Wanna know the great thing about life?

When my dad moved to California almost three years ago, I no longer talked to him very much and I saw him even less. He recently(ish) moved to Oregon and it amuses me that since he seems to be a little bit closer (I'm not certain if Bend, Oregon is closer to Utah than where he was in Cali or not), we seem to talk a little more. He and I have been exchanging messages on Facebook about our lives and how far (in my opinion) or how close (in dad's opinion) March, and subsequently his visit to Salt Lake, is.

However, there are certain things that I just don't get from an internet conversation with my father. His internet voice is very different from that of our face to face conversations and that is something that I always miss. When I was younger I used to spend nearly every weekend with him. We'd spend two incredibly packed days with my sisters and then he would drive us all home. Most of the conversations that he and I had occurred in the van as we were heading to Salt Lake or going back home.

There is one thing that he always used to say to me when I was having a hard day. It is something that I was thinking about as I was brushing my teeth a little while ago. I hadn't thought about it in a long time, but it really helps me tonight after the week I have been having.

"Wanna know the great thing about life?" He would always ask me and I would never really answer, but looked at him or ahead at the road in front of us. "You can wake up tomorrow and start all over again."

I know that it is not something that my dad came up with - in fact, the idea is very cliched - but tonight it was exactly what I needed. Today did not go how I expected it to and this week has not been exactly easy. However, when I am done reading this blog I will go to sleep. Then tomorrow morning I will wake up and have the chance to start fresh. I can wake up tomorrow morning determined to be happy and have a good day at work. I can wake up and not worry about all of the bad things this week.

I can wake up tomorrow and start all over again.

Dad, I don't know if you read my blog anymore, but thank you for teaching me that no matter how badly I feel I messed up in a day, I can always wake up and choose to make the right choices and say the right things tomorrow. I love you and miss you so much, and I can't wait to see you in March.

No comments: