Monday, May 16, 2011

Trapped in Winter

This was inspired by my complete frustration at the weather. It was an assignment for my class. I had to use certain colors in my poem. I think I like it, but this is only the version I wrote in my writing notebook. I think I made some edits to the one that I turned in that made the whole poem better.

Colors of the sky
take me to another place,
another time.

Sunflower yellow,
a great orb in the sky,
takes me to summers past
when I would look up to
the flowers in wonder.

Oranges and purples
fill the sky of a setting sun,
taking me to
pumpkin patches and
orchards filled with ripe fruit
in the fall.

Looking at the sky,
I can imagine warm beaches
and sunny days,
laying in dry grass,
eyes closed and soaking in
warm rays.

I pull my jacket
closer to me and try
to ignore the shocking white
snow up in the mountains.
My eyes close and I sigh,
waiting for the day
when I'm no longer
trapped in winter.

2 comments:

Mary Lauren said...

Move to Texas! We don't have to deal with all that gross white stuff you call snow. :)

Mads said...

You have no idea. It is STILL freezing. We haven't had snow in a couple of weeks, but we are supposed to soon. Yuck.